Ph.D. Earth Sciences, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego, 1986.
M.S. Oceanography, Scripps Institution of Oceanography, University of California, San Diego, 1982.
B.A. with Honours in Geology, Oxford University, England, 1980.
Assistant Professor, Florida International University, State University of Florida at Miami, 1987-1990.
Assistant Professor, Geological and Marine Sciences, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 1990-1993.
Associate Professor, Geological and Marine Sciences, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 1993-1996.
Joseph Sloane Associate Professor of Geological and Marine Sciences, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 1997-1998.
Joseph Sloane Professor of Geological and Marine Sciences, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 1998-2002.
Chair, Department of Geological Sciences, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 1998-2002.
Professor, Department of Geosciences, Pennsylvania State University, 2003-.
Head, Department of Geosciences, Pennsylvania State University, 2003-2011.
Fulbright Senior Scholar, Climate Change Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney AUSTRALIA, 2011-2012.
Honorary Professor, Climate Change Research Centre, University of New South Wales, Sydney AUSTRALIA, 2011-2015.
Shipboard biostratigrapher, Ocean Drilling Program Leg 122 (Indian Ocean, 1988), Leg 143 (Pacific Ocean, 1993), Leg 165 (Caribbean Sea, 1995). Co-chief scientist, Ocean Drilling Program Leg 198 (Pacific, 2001).
University College, Oxford, Open Scholarship, 1979.
Hettelman Junior Faculty Research Prize, UNC-CH, 1995.
Member and Professional Service (past 10 years)
- Associate Editor, Geology, 2004-2006.
- Associate Editor, Marine Micropaleontology, 1995-.
- Associate Editor, Palaios, 1999-.
- Associate Editor, Paleoceanography, 2001-2007.
- Associate Editor, Terra Nova, 2012-
- Member, JOI-USSAC (Ocean Drilling Program, US Advisory Panel), 2002.
- Member, Proposal Evaluation Panel, Integrated Ocean Drilling Program and Sub-Chair of Climate section, Attended meeting in Kyoto, December 11-12
- Member, Operations Task Force, Integrated Ocean Drilling Program (involved in scheduling drilling legs)
- Penn State Representative, Consortium for Ocean Leadership
- Distinguished Speaker, National Association of Geoscience Teachers (NAGT), 2011-2014
- Australian-American Fulbright Scholarship Selection Committee, 2012-
- Advisory Board of NSF-CHRONOS program, 2004-.
- Steering Committee of NSF-GeoSystems program, 2004-.
- Executive Committee of AGU-Heads and Chair Committee, 2005-2011.
- Advisory Board of the National Geoscience Departments Heads and Chairs, 2005-2011.
- Scientific Ocean Drilling Subcommittee of the Ocean Leadership Board of Trustees, 2010-
- External Review Committees of Geosciences Programs at University of Massachusetts, 2005; University of Iowa, 2006, Temple University, 2007, Virginia Tech, 2008, Syracuse, 2009, SUNY-Buffalo, 2010.
- Organized workshop on Cretaceous Climate and Ocean Dynamics in Florissant, CO, 2002.
- Organized workshop of scientists on Ocean Drilling Program Leg 122, Florissant, CO, 2003.
- Leader and Host for workshop Preparing for an Academic Career in the Geosciences: A Workshop for Graduate Students and Post-doctoral Fellows at Penn State, 2005.
- Leader for Preparing for an Academic Career in the Geosciences: A Workshop for Graduate Students and Post-doctoral Fellows at Stanford University, 2006.
- Organized session at Fall AGU on Building Healthy Geoscience Programs, 2005.
- Convened workshop Connecting Geoscience Departments to the Future of Science: New Structures for Research and Curriculum, Carleton College, 2007.
- Organized session at Fall AGU on Marine Biotic Response to Global Warming; Past and Present, 2007.
- Organized session at Fall AGU on Building Geoscience Departments for the Future, 2007.
- Organized InTeGrate Workshop on Programs that Bring Together Geosciences and Sustainability at Stanford University, 2012
- Organized InTeGrate Workshop on The Geosciences Workforce at Penn State, 2013
Department and University Service (past 5 years)
- Department of Geosciences Executive Committee.
- Earth and Mineral Science Executive Council.
- Academic Advisor to Undergraduate Geoscience Club.
- Committees to establish undergraduate degree programs in Geobiology (2003) and Earth Science Policy (2007-8).
- Faculty Sponsor for Fort Valley State-Penn State 3+2 Undergraduate Degree Program.
- Advisory Board of Earth and Environmental Systems Institute.
- Advisory Board of the Rock Ethics Institute.
- Chair of the Search Committee for Department Head of EGEE, 2004.
- CIC Geoscience Heads and Chairs Committee; hosted meeting at Penn State in 2005.
- Hosted SEEMS groups, Summer 2003, 2005, 2007.
- Hosted SROP student in lab, Summer 2005.
- Participated in Shake Rattle Rocks annually, 2002-2013.
- Member Graduate Program Committee, 2012-.
- Rover for Candidacy Exams, 2012-
- Department Outreach Coordinator, 2012-
- Member Materials Characterization Lab Leadership Team, 2012-
- Member, University Promotion and Tenure Committee, 2013-
- Member, Department Promotion and Tenure Committee, 2013-4